Monday 30 January 2012

Mock-up of album covers

In order to gain understanding first hand of what a album cover needs to include and convey, as part of the research process it was advised to create a mock version of an album cover for our song that will be also be promoted via a music video.
As I want to convey the star persona of 'Alice' as well as the emotion and natural feel to the song, my idea for an album cover would need to reflect this in order to achieve maximum profit. Due to this, for my mock, I found an image of Ellie Goulding (the current artist whose most like my artist 'Alice) sitting in a field, which is loosely based around my idea for both the video and the album cover.
As you can see, this is my starting point. I decided to use neutral colours for the text in order to compliment the neutrality of the image and colours within in, such as the white and brown/green of the grass. I also chose to use a font which shows the feminity of 'Alice' (enhanced by the use of pink as well), but also indicates the mature aspect that this artist has. However, the word 'Numb' isn't as readable in the place it is in now so it is advisable that I move it, whilst the word 'Alice' is on the wrong side of the cover for easy read purposes. In addition to this, the sizing of the cover isn't the right size and so that needs to be edited for authencitiy.
This is the next stage of my mock version of my album cover. As you can see, I have resized the image so it now looks more like an album cover. In addition to this, there is now a larger space at the top of the image, making the image itself look like it continues up into the sky, creating a more asethitc effect. I also looked at moving the text 'Numb' and 'Alice' around into a more appealing place, however the front cover still doesn't look right.
In this version, I have moved the text 'Numb' into the bottom right corner due to the fact that as a reader you read left to right. As this text wasn't as obvious in the pinker colour, I changed it into a grey, still following the netural theme but in a more eye-catching way. I also changed the font itself of the word 'Numb' in another attempt to make it stand-out against the background. On the down side, Ellie herself in not in the centre of the album cover and so makes the album cover itself look almost too heavy on one side.
This is my final mock album cover. Each bit of text is large enough to catch the eye, whilst the colours, although convey the netural theme of the image, also stand out in their various places. However, the image itself is still not central and so the front cover doesn't look right. Unfortunately the image itself is only as big as the canvas size and so wasn't able to move over into a more centralised position. In the future I need to consider this so that my final piece is much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment